Oh, my aching arms!
Normally, I do three sets of pushups a day: one major set in the morning, and two smaller sets to "grease the skids" that I jokingly refer to as my "greasy" pushups later in the day (usually one in the afternoon and one in the evening).
I've been pacing the "greasy" ones at about 1 rep / second. Nothing outstanding, but slow enough to let me focus on all the little details of form that I sometimes lose track of on the major set. (Sorry, haven't actually timed the major set yet, but it's faster than 1 rep/sec.)
Today I was "feeling my oats" and decided to slow the first greasy set down a bit, to something along the lines of 2 reps every 3 seconds (50% slower).
At which point I discovered that even though I'm usually pretty good at multi-tasking/task switching, my brain hits a big ole Blue Screen O'Death if I try asking it to focus on technique details and... oh... math.
Instead I ended up doing them at a rate of 2 seconds per rep, which is a MAJOR effing increase in effort! I made it through about 75% of the set, then had no choice but to go to Downward Dog for several seconds before squeezing out a few more reps (no idea what the pace was), more Downward Dog, etc.
I finally managed to accumulate enough reps to finish the set, but O My Stars & Garters, am I ever glad tomorrow is a rest day!
Normally, I do three sets of pushups a day: one major set in the morning, and two smaller sets to "grease the skids" that I jokingly refer to as my "greasy" pushups later in the day (usually one in the afternoon and one in the evening).
I've been pacing the "greasy" ones at about 1 rep / second. Nothing outstanding, but slow enough to let me focus on all the little details of form that I sometimes lose track of on the major set. (Sorry, haven't actually timed the major set yet, but it's faster than 1 rep/sec.)
Today I was "feeling my oats" and decided to slow the first greasy set down a bit, to something along the lines of 2 reps every 3 seconds (50% slower).
At which point I discovered that even though I'm usually pretty good at multi-tasking/task switching, my brain hits a big ole Blue Screen O'Death if I try asking it to focus on technique details and... oh... math.
Instead I ended up doing them at a rate of 2 seconds per rep, which is a MAJOR effing increase in effort! I made it through about 75% of the set, then had no choice but to go to Downward Dog for several seconds before squeezing out a few more reps (no idea what the pace was), more Downward Dog, etc.
I finally managed to accumulate enough reps to finish the set, but O My Stars & Garters, am I ever glad tomorrow is a rest day!
no subject
At least, that's the way we did slow sets in the Army, trying to teach folks the proper form.
no subject
The most persnickety one I've run into was:
* start from high plank with "strongly engaged" (like you're about to get punched in the stomach) core and glutes,
* 2-second descent until upper arms are horizontal,
* tuck your shoulder-blades into you back pockets and 1-second hold,
* 2-second ascent until arms are fully extended/high plank,
* press the shoulders forward and 1-second hold.
So about 6 seconds per rep -- and I ain't there right now. Don't know if I ever will be, or even want to be.
Only time will tell!