September 2026

S M T W T F S
   12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Sunday, July 5th, 2026 02:37 pm
In other exercise-related news, I saw one of those "fitness as you age" videos purporting to give the perfect number of pushups men should be able to do at each decade as they age.

I think they must have intended their number as "what you should be able to do if you don't exercise / you're just starting an exercise program," although it came across more as a "this is the perfect number you should do: a single set of this many" as a goal for your workouts.

For someone in their 20s it was something like 28 reps and gradually dropped off for their 30s, 40s, etc. In our 50s they think we should be able to do 12, and in our 60s they think 10 is the perfect number.

They make no reference to any injuries or medical conditions, nothing but the number of calendars you've seen expire and the "normal wear and tear" those calendars have inflicted. Everything in the video seems to be directed at average healthy adult males.

I guess if your life hasn't been particularly physically active, that makes sense. If those calendars have been especially unkind, it is a very different situation from what the video seems to be addressing. And injuries and other medical issues change the game completely, as I have good cause to know.

But again, that does not seem to be the intent of the video.

I don't know. Maybe it's just the type of men I grew up with (heavily slanted towards farmers, ranchers, and generally "outdoorsy" type folks) and the type of life I've been lucky enough to lead. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting their message.

It just seemed very strange to me.

Of course, now that I think about it, they never did say why theirs was the "perfect" number...
Monday, July 6th, 2026 04:07 pm (UTC)
Sounds like the "10,000 steps" which was picked by a company as it looked good in Japanese and was picked up by everyone else as having research behind it.